Monday 18 May 2020

Revival under Covid19 Self Isolation

THE MASTER SOURDOUGH RECIPE




It's definitely a new world since my last post. Life has changed considerably and even now is changing daily. I've decided to restart writing this because I find that it's a cool way to track where I was at a point in time - kind of like a snapshot of my own personal history. So, here it is.


On Thursday, March 12 we were told that we would be working from home for an indeterminate amount of time starting on Friday, March 13. As of Friday it has been 9 weeks of this "shelter in place" new normal. Prior to last week, I hadn't left the house other than to get groceries...about 5 times.

I have been trying to create balance despite not leaving the 500 square feet of my humble little abode. Working out thanks to gyms like Oxygen Yoga and their amazing workouts on their Facebook Oxygen Everywhere page, Zwift rides on my bike which is on the indoor trainer and working out with my mom from a far doing Zumba with a few different instructors.

My amazing cousin gave me a sourdough starter at the beginning of the 7 weeks (one of my trips outside) and so I've been baking pretty much non-stop as well. I thought it would be a good idea to start recording some of the recipes that I've been making so that I have a record of this moving forward and many of my friends who have gotten starters have something to refer to if they want to make some of the recipes I've made along the way.

Starting with the standard recipes for the loaves of sourdough I've been making

The Cheese Board Collective 
The Cheese Board Collective is a co-operative based in Berkley, California. On my last visit to California I dragged my family on a "tour" of co-operatives in the Bay Area including both the Cheese Board and Arizmendi Bakeries around town. Opened in 1967 and was sold to its workers in 1971 forming a workers co-operative. My mom and god mother speculate that this is the same store they used to venture to when they were roommates before it grew into its new space.

1) Adapated from The Cheese Board Collective Master Sourdough recipe and the original recipe I got from my cousin

Make sure to read the whole recipe and the recipe for the bread you are making.

Preparation time through the first rise: 5 hours
(unless rising overnight); active time: 45 mins
4 cups (450 g) all purpose flour
1/2 cup (50 g) whole wheat flour, spelt etc.
1 1/2 cups (100 -125g) sourdough starter
1 1/4 cup (320 g) room temperature water (I usually pre-boil water and then let it cool)
1 TBSP + 1 tsp sea salt (the Cheese Board recipe calls for kosher salt)

Mix flour and water together and let stand for 10 mins
Add sourdough starter
Let rest for another 20 mins
After 20 mins fold dough and then let sit for another 20 mins (repeat this step 4 times) then let sit for 2 additional hours.

Adapted from the The Cheese Board Collective City Bread
Using 1 Master Sourdough recipe

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and split into 2 pieces. Gently form each piece into a loose round and cover with a floured kitchen towel. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Shape the dough into large rounds. Flour the inside of 2 proofing baskets, seam side up, or seam side down on a floured pan). I don't have proofing baskets so I just form my rounds and let them rise on the prepared parchment and floured cookie sheet. Let rise for 4-5 hour - until a finger pressed into the dough leaves an impression.

15 mins before the loaves have finished rising I put a shallow roasting pan on the bottom rack.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees F

Slash the tops of the loaves in whatever design you want - I've done everything from flowers to a baby (for a friends baby shower drop off). Be creative!

Pour 1/2 cup cold water into a measuring cup and add enough ice cubes to bring the volume to 1 cup...if you don't have ice - just make sure the water is really cold. I often just put the water in the freezer while I'm doing the final preparations on the loaves. Place the pan in the oven. Pour the cold water into the pan and close the oven door quickly to maintain a steamy environment for the bread.

Bake for 5 minutes, then prepare another round of ice water and repeat the process.

Bake for 15 mins then rotate the pan

Total baking time, depending on your oven, should be around 45 minutes, or until the bread is a deep brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment